Level up your English 1 [Reading/Vocabulary]
First is improving your reading ability and expanding your vocabulary.
Reading will give you a good groundwork for grammar, spelling and sentence structure. Improving your reading ability will give you a stronger understanding of how to put together fluent sentences. It will also give you more vocabulary and ways to use it.
Where do you you start?
My advice is to read a foreign newspaper. Newspapers cover all kinds of topics and give you a good sense of another country's perspective. They also use lots of difficult but useful vocabulary.
How do I do it?
My original 10 step process
1. Choose a newspaper.
2. Choose a section that interests you. (Sports, politics, etc)
3. Read the headlines and see if you understand what's written
4. Pick an article that interests you
5. Read it all the way through. Don't stop and check everything.
6. How much did you understand? Could you write 2 or 3 sentences about what you read? If so, write a small summary.
7. If you don't understand something, go back and check. Look up words/grammar you don't know. Make memos.
8. Read it again out-loud (This helps with speaking)
9. Bring your memos to a native level speaker and check
10. Choose another article and repeat steps 1-10
* Try reading sections you are not familiar with.
* Good newspapers (NY Times, Reuters, BBC, Wall Street Journal)
As you read more, your vocabulary will increase and you will understand more about grammar and sentence structure. After that, your speaking ability will improve....